Monday, July 14, 2014

The Humanity in Tragedy

Over 3 difficult days, I have learned a lot about life. My daughter took a terrible fall on Friday and broke bones that immobilized both legs and her right hand. The prognosis is basically this, she will be almost completely dependent of us for the most basic of needs for the next 12+ weeks.

While this is a difficult pill to swallow (pun intended), we also recognize how blessed we are that first and foremost she's alive. Second, she will walk again, and third she and we have an amazing support system far greater than we ever could've imagined. 

Here are just a couple of examples.
1. My neighbor across the street has kept my little girls without hesitation to give them a break from hospital life. 

2. My other neighbor mowed my yard because he knew that I needed to spend my time helping my wife and daughter.

3. Numerous friends and family have stopped by with care packages  and comfort food. 

4. We have received hundreds of texts, phone calls, Facebook messages and visitors to let us know they are here to support us. 

In short, we are blessed to have witnessed the effect of tragedy, humanity.

The Moral of the Story

Life is not measured in accolades but in acts of kindness. It's not found in the breathes you take, but in the moments that take your breathe away. (Had to say it.) Tragedy reveals the world's humanity, and we are blessed to have experienced it firsthand. The rapid pace of life forces us to zip past the truly most important things, while tragedy forces you to stop and examine if you're really engaged with the people and things that matter most. 


My Message to You
Kiss your kids. Call an old friend and catch up. Take time to connect, for that is where humanity resides. Don't wait for a tragedy to reveal it for you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment