So what is the driving force of leadership? At the end of the day, it is how the leader serves. Now you may be thinking, “Not every leader serves”. Well actually every leader does serve. It’s just that some are self-serving, while others are not. Here’s what I mean.
Weak leaders serve:
- Themselves first and others if it feels right.
- The status quo.
- At the cost of customers.
- Safety and easiness,
- Others first and themselves last.
- A quest for continuous improvement all in an effort to avoid the comfort and stagnation of the status quo.
- Customers as if it were an investment in the organization,
- Innovators and a better way of doing things
- High expectations and accountability,
- Optimism to every one,
- A higher calling.
Weak leaders serve at the cost of the organization’s future, but super leaders alter the current trajectory of that organization forever. The difference between those two leaders always comes down to one question.
Are you here to serve yourself or everyone else?